Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Addiband! (or Addison Headband)


I had a hank of my favorite turquoise yarn left over from the "vogue scarf" I just finished that I planned to make a hat with. I cast on 72 stitches and after about an inch of K2, P2 ribbing, I realized it was going to be too small. Instead of ripping it out, I decided to make it into a headband for one of my girlfriend's adorable little 4 year old, Addison.

Earlier in the week I spent a fun Sunday at a "stitch and bitch" brunch at my knitting guru's new shop up in Andersonville. It was all complete strangers as my teacher wasn't even there, but I ended up having a great time... AND, someone taught me to crochet! All I've been wanting to do is learn how to make flowers so I can stick 'em on hats and such, so in about 10 minutes I learned to chain, single crochet, double crochet, slip stitch... I think that's it. Anyway, I picked it up really fast and now I'm on my way to being a crocheter as well! So psyched.

So- I finished off the headband after making it about 2 inches thick. It's just a simple knit ribbed band.

I added on 2 flowers that are the same pattern but different sizes. This is ALL I can crochet at the time, but I expect to be expanding my experience on that soon ;-)

Here is the pattern I used:

1. Chain 4 and join with slip stitch to form a ring.

2. Chain 1, work 9 single crochets around ring, join with slip stitch to turning chain.

3. Chain 1, double crochet & single crochet in next stitch, *single crochet in next stitch, (single crochet, double crochet, single crochet in next stitch), repeat from * 3 more times ending with single crochet in next stitch. Join with slip stitch to starting chain and slip stitch to top of first double crochet.

4. Chain 2, 2 double crochet in same stitch (top of double crochet of previous round), *chain 2, skip 1 stitch, single crochet into next stitch, chain 2, skip 1 stitch, 5 double crochet into next stitch, repeat from * 3 more times ending with chain 2, skip 1 stitch, single crochet into next stitch, chain 2, skip 1 stitch, work 2 double crochets into same stitch where this round started and join to turning chain with slip stitch.

5. Chain 2, 2 double crochet into same stitch (middle stitch of 5 double crochets), *chain 1, skip 1 stitch, 1 double crochet into next stitch, chain 2, skip 1 stitch, single crochet into next stitch (single crochet of previous round), chain 2, skip 1 stitch, double crochet into next stitch, chain 1, skip 1 stitch, 3 double crochet into next stitch, repeat from * 3 more times ending with chain 1, skip 1 stitch, double crochet into next stitch, chain 1, skip 1 stitch, single crochet into next stitch, chain 1, skip 1 stitch, double crochet into next stitch, chain1, join to turning chain with slip stitch. Finish off.

I sewed them on and that was that! Its super cute and I hope that Addison will agree. I can't wait to see her and get a picture of the cutie wearing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment