Friday, February 25, 2011

Natalie's Gap-TASTIC Infinity Scarf



I had been on the hunt for this scarf since I saw someone wearing it in September. It was apparently from Gap but each time I saw it, it was one of those "I KNOW I can make this!" deals so I refused to buy it. I'm a new member of Ravelry and actually found a pattern for it on that site! It cracked me up because apparently this girl had the same idea that I had, but actually went TO the store, counted the stitches and dissected the project so she could recreate it. Thanks to her, I now have one GapTASTIC scarf... and a homemade one that's obviously better than a stuffy store mass-created wannabe.

Totally simple-
CO 131 stitches on circulars, seed stitch for 11-15 inches.

I used the knitted cast on method and I used bulky weight yarn (Cascade 220 magnum) in a soft powdery blue. The patterns suggested Lion Brand Thick and Quick which I also love and will probably try next. I used size 11 needles, it calls for 13. Mine looks almost identical. There were tons of different links to similar cowls, but I owe mine to Jen Giegley on Ravelry. I would post the link, but unless you're a member it won't show up, so just take my word for it!

I also added two crocheted flowers to it to make it a little different...these are the same crocheted flowers that I have used for the past 3 projects because I'm obsessed with them and only know one pattern. This scarf is actually is one of my favorite things that I've ever made. However, I did learn as a child that the BEST gifts are those that you want for yourself, and for that reason, I chose to send this to my sister as part of her 21st birthday present. I probably will end up making one for myself at some point, but since it was pretty tedious to make I'll have to give it some time.

This whole thing took me about 7 episodes of Friends, one episode of the Bachelor, 2 Sex in the City and one Biggest Loser. So... 8-9 hours. Very chic very warm. I hope Natalie likes it; Happy Birthday!

Here is the original Gap Infinity Cowl that inspired this piece:

No comments:

Post a Comment